Home About BlogArizona.com Contact Us  |  Advertise on BlogArizona.com  |  Login

BlogArizona.com - the ORIGINAL Arizona Real Estate Blog

      Everything Arizona...
               Everything Real Estate...
                        Everything in between...
BlogArizona.com - the ORIGINAL Arizona Real Estate Blog
BlogArizona.com offers discussions on a wide variety of subjects, but focuses on Arizona and real estate.  The articles  posted here are contributed by various working professionals.  Their insights and experiences will inform, educate, challenge and entertain our readers week after week.  Some of the best reading on blogs often comes from reader Comments!  We encourage you to use the 'Comments' feature to join discussions and interact with both our Contributors, and our other readers.  We do require that you first review and accept our 'Comment Rules' in order to preserve the quality and integrity of this blog.  Also be aware that all visitors are subject to our Terms of Use.

We put the 'REAL' back in real estate!

« Please Call Your Accountant Before Selling Your Home! | Main | Mortgage Broker vs. Mortgage Banker »

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

1031 Exchanges - Now you REALLY, REALLY need an accountant

1031 exchanges - they aren't for everyone. As a matter of fact they are only for a very few. The Internal Revenue Code Section 1031 states: "No gain or loss shall be recognized if property held for productive use in trade or business or for investment purposes is exchanged solely for property of a like-kind." To make a long story short, (and noting that I am neither a 1031 Specialist or an Accountant) the 1031 exchange is a tool for investors only. A 1031 exchange can not be used for selling one's personal residence. The rules for a 1031 exchange are very strict and precise. The property being exchanged has to have been an investment property and needs to be exchanged for another investment property within a specific amount of time. Needless to say I am writing about this because recently several homeowners have mistakenly thought that they could circumvent the 2 year residency rules (necessary to benefit from the Capital Gains home sales tax break) by participating in a 1031 exchange. Personal residences do not qualify as investment properties. After conferring with accountants as well as 1031 Qualified Intermediaries it is once again important to say - consult with an accountant, 1031 exchange specialist, etc before thinking that you have found the perfect tax loophole. 1031 exchanges are a great tool - but they are for investors investing in investment properties only. For more info go to: http://1031.org http://starker.com

David Thomas of West USA Realty Written By: David Thomas
Realtor®, ABR
West USA Realty
Direct: (602) 763-6363
Office: (480) 820-3333
Email me

Posted by David Thomas on February 22, 2006 | Permalink


The comments to this entry are closed.



TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference 1031 Exchanges - Now you REALLY, REALLY need an accountant:


      Advertise on BlogArizona.com!

Equal Housing Opportunity

     Home  |  Archives  |  Login

  © BlogArizona, LLC 2005
      All Rights Reserved

     Terms of use  |  Disclosure